- A minor programme consists of a collection of five (5) subjects required by the pillar offering the minor.
- Eligible students may pursue one (1) minor and that minor must be offered by a pillar other than their own major pillar.
- The minor will be accorded upon successful completion of the required subjects by Term 8. No extension beyond Term 8 is allowed.
Click here to view the Minor Programme Policy.
- Minor programmes are only open to pillar-level engineering students from Term 5 onwards.
- Students must declare their intention to enrol in a minor to the Office of Student Administration and the pillars involved two (2) weeks prior to the start of Term 5. Students should note that the add/drop period and related policies apply to minor-related and additional fifth subjects.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 4.75; and
- Passed all twelve (12) Freshmore subjects at the point of declaring their intention to pursue a minor.
Minor Subject Requirements
- Pillar subjects may be cross-listed to fulfil the minor requirements. Each pillar offering the minor can allow up to two (2) subjects or the equivalent of twenty four (24) subject credits to be considered as cross-listed subjects.
- In addition, a minimum of three (3) subjects or the equivalent of thirty-six (36) subject credits must be taken from the pillar offering the minor.
- Subjects taken to complete a minor shall be graded and computed into the GPA.
- Unless a minimum passing grade is stated by the pillar, the minimum passing grade shall be a D.
- Non-letter grading options cannot be used for a minor.
Fulfilling Minor Requirements
- Students with CGPA of 4.75 and above and passed all twelve (12) Freshmore subjects at the point of subject enrolment in Terms 5 and 6 may take an additional fifth subject or exceed the term credit limit to a maximum of sixty (60) subject credits to fulfil minor requirements in those stated terms.
- Students will need to seek the approval of their pillar as well as the pillar offering the minor and submit a formal request to the Office of Student Administration (OSA) before registering for the additional subject.
- The eligible student may also take one (1) minor-related subject by using an elective slot in either Term 7 or 8.
Planning for Minor Study
- The pillar offering the minor has the discretion to set restrictions such as student cap, pillar admission requirements or priority criteria. Students need to check that they meet the pillar’s minor requirements before embarking on the programme.
- Students interested in pursuing a minor should consult their academic mentors to ascertain whether they are able to cope with the additional coursework.
- Thereafter, they are required to meet an academic advisor within the pillar offering the minor to discuss the programme of study, the different pathways that are available to them to complete the minor and the timeframe needed. Students who are deemed to be unable to complete the coursework by Term 8 will not be allowed to pursue the minor.
Declaration and Withdrawal
- Students who decide not to continue pursuing the minor programme at any point in time will need to submit a formal written letter of withdrawal to their pillar, the pillar offering the minor and the OSA.
- Should the student not complete or withdraw from the minor programme, the student’s major pillar may, at its sole discretion, allow the additional fifth subject(s) successfully completed in the previous term(s) for the discontinued minor to be counted towards the pillar degree requirements. Grades earned to complete a minor shall still be computed towards the GPA after the student’s withdrawal.
Cross-Pillar Subjects Available
ISTD Foundation Courses
- 50.001 Introduction to Information Systems & Programming
- 50.002 Computation Structures
- 50.003 Elements of Software Construction
- 50.004 Introduction to Algorithms
- 50.005 Computer System Engineering
- 30.101 Systems and Control
- 30.110 Digital Systems Laboratory
- 30.115 Digital Signal Processing
- 30.119 Theory & Applications of Robotics
- 30.201 Wireless Communications
- 40.002 Optimization
- 40.004 Statistics
- 40.006 Network Modeling
- 40.009 Simulation
- 40.220 The Analytics Edge
- 40.302 Advanced Topics in Optimization
Click here to view ISTD’s course descriptions.
Click here to download the ISTD Minor Programme Application Form