This course will be offered to AY2019 ISTD students in Term 6 2021. Subsequently, it will be offered in Term 5 by DAI Office.
In Service Design Studio, students will form a team to respond to a “Service Design Challenge” by conceptualizing, designing and implementing a new AI-based application to deliver a service. Students will learn web technologies to deploy cross-platform service solutions to various industry needs. The course is offered as a project-based course and managed in a tripartite collaboration involving SUTD, a Technology Expert company, and industries. Google is our key partner for the Technology Expert company for the first two initial offerings.
In the first half of the course, students will learn various web technologies, service design tools, as well as AI-enabled tools from both SUTD faculty and Technology Expert company guest lecturers. The industry will provide the problem statements and the first half the term will be used to scope the project that students will do. The second half of the term will be done mainly to deliver a proof-of-concept. Students will meet regularly with supervisors from industry and the mentors from the Technology Expert Company. The course will end with an exhibition of the project deliverables to both industry, Technology Expert company, and SUTD communities.
Pre-requisite / Co-requisite / Mutually Exclusive Subject
Pre-Requisite: (For AY2019)
Pre-Requisite: (For AY2020 and onwards)
Suggested Term 3 elective:
- 10.020 Data Driven World (AY2020 and onwards)
- Conduct all phases of development from problem analysis to deployment
- Present software design work and critique other students’ designs
- Build medium-scale web applications using standard technologies on the cloud
- Design key components of a software system
- Exercise good work ethics in dealing with different stake holders
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Analyze problems and write design documents for a software system.
- Design and implement key components of a software system including data models, event structures, and interfaces.
- Present and pitch their design solutions as well as give constructive critique on other students’ design.
- Implement Cloud Services as key technology components in the overall service solutions.
- Communicate well and exercise good work ethics both among group members as well as with industry mentors.
- Introduction to Software as a Service (SaaS), Agile Development and Cloud Computing
- SaaS Application Architecture, Requirements: BDD and User Stories
- SaaS Framework Part I, Introduction to UI/UX Design
- SaaS Framework Part II
- Test-Driven Development, Agile Teams
- Design Patterns for SaaS Apps
- Cloud AI and ML toolbox
Textbook(s) and/or Other Required Material
- “Engineering Software as a Service: An Agile Approach Using Cloud Computing” by Armando Fox and David Patterson, Book version 2.0b1