SUTD-MIT Postdoc Fellow
Pillar / Cluster: Information Systems Technology and Design
MIT Advisor: Ramesh Raskar
SUTD Advisor: Yeung Sai Kit
Dr. Boxin Shi is currently an SUTD-MIT Postdoctoral Fellow, at Singapore University of Technology and Design, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received the Ph.D. degree in Information Science and Technology from the University of Tokyo in 2013. Before that, he received his M.Eng. degree from Peking University in 2010 and B.Eng. degree from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications in 2007, respectively. His research interests include photometric methods in computer vision, reflectance and illumination modeling, and 3D reconstruction.
- Ph.D., The University of Tokyo, 2013
- M.Eng. (Outstanding graduate of PKU), Peking University, 2010
- B.Eng. (Outstanding graduate of Beijing), Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, 2007
- SUTD-MIT Postdoctoral Fellow, SUTD and MIT, 2013.10 – present
- Research Intern, Microsoft Research Asia, 2012.07- 2012.10 and 2009.07 – 2010.09
- Research Engineer, National University of Singapore, 2011.07 – 2011.10
Awards & Achievements
- MEXT global 30 scholarship, Japanese government (Monbukagakusho), 2010-2013
- Excellent intern award — “Star of tomorrow”, Microsoft Research Asia, 2010
- Joon-Young Lee, Yasuyuki Matsushita, Boxin Shi, In-So Kweon, and Katsushi Ikeuchi, “Radiometric calibration by Rank Minimization”, In IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 144-156, 2013.
- Boxin Shi, Ping Tan, Yasuyuki Matsushita, and Katsushi Ikeuchi, “Elevation angle from reflectance monotonicity: Photometric stereo for general isotropic reflectances”, In Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), 2012.
- Boxin Shi, Ping Tan, Yasuyuki Matsushita, and Katsushi Ikeuchi, “A biquadratic reflectance model for radiometric image analysis”, In Proc. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2012.
- Joon-Young Lee, Boxin Shi, Yasuyuki Matsushita, In-So Kweon, and Katsushi Ikeuchi, “Radiometric calibration by transform invariant low-rank structure”, In Proc. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2011.
- Boxin Shi, Yasuyuki Matsushita, Yichen Wei, Chao Xu, and Ping Tan, “Self-calibrating photometric stereo”, In Proc. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2010.
- Boxin Shi, Lin Liu, and Chao Xu, “Comparison between JPEG2000 and H.264 for digital cinema”, In Proc. IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo (ICME), 2008.