Tony Quek received the B.E. and M.E. degrees in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan, respectively. At MIT, he earned the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science under supervision of Professor Moe Win. Currently, he is an Assistant Professor at the Information Systems Technology and Design Pillar, SUTD. He is also a scientist with the Institute for Infocomm Research, A*STAR.
Tony Quek has been actively working and contributing to the research community with the wireless communications, signal processing, and networking area. He served as the Technical Program Chair for several conferences and workshops. He is currently an Executive Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, an Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Communications and the Wireless Communications Letters. He was Guest Editor for the IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (Special Issue on Signal Processing for the 5G Revolution) in 2014 and the IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine (Special Issue on Heterogeneous Cloud Radio Access Networks) in 2015. He is a senior member of the IEEE.
- PhD, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M.Eng, Electrical Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
- B.Eng., Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology
General research interests are the application of mathematical, optimization, and statistical theories to communication, networking, signal processing, and resource allocation problems. Current research topics include sensor networks, heterogeneous networks, green communications, smart grid, wireless security, compressed sensing, big data processing, and cognitive radio.
- Heterogeneous Cloud Radio Access Networks: Deployment, Fronthaul, and Caching, MOE Tier 2 Grant, 2015-2018
- Wireless Information and Energy Transfer for Self-Sustainable Networks, SUTD-ZJU Grant, 2015-2018.
- Soldier Body Area Networks, SUTD Temasek Lab Project, 2014-2017.
- Adaptive Mobile Ad-Hoc Network – Connectivity, Robustness, and Heterogeneity, DIRP Grant, 2014-2017.
- Heterogeneous Sense-Making and Learning Networks, A*STAR SERC Grant, 2013-2016.
Awards & Achievements
- IEEE WCSP 2014 Best Paper Award.
- IEEE SPAWC 2013 Best Student Paper Award.
- 2012 IEEE William R. Bennett Prize in the Field of Communications Networking.
- Chinese Academy of Sciences Fellowship for Young International Scientists in 2011.
- JCI The Outstanding Young Persons of Singapore Awards 2011 Finalist.
- I2R Best Research Paper of the Year 2010.
- IEEE Globecom 2010 Best Paper Award.
- Philip Yeo Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Research, 2008.
- T. Q. S. Quek, G. de la Roche, I. Guvenc, and M. Kountouris, “Small Cell Networks: Deployment, PHY Techniques, and Resource Allocation,” Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- T. Q. S. Quek, M. Peng, O. Simeone, and W. Yu, “Heterogeneous Cloud Radio Access Networks,” Cambridge University Press, (under review).
- D. Lopez-Perez, I. Guvenc, G. de la Roche, M. Kountouris, T. Q. S. Quek, and J. Zhang, “Enhanced Inter-Cell Interference Coordination Challenges in Heterogeneous Networks,” IEEE Wireless Commun. Mag., vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 22–30, Jun. 2011.
- T. Q. S. Quek and M. Z. Win, “Analysis of UWB Transmitted-Reference Communication Systems in Dense Multipath Channels,” IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1863–1874, Oct. 2005.
- A. Rabbachin, T. Q. S. Quek, H. Shin, and M. Z. Win, “Cognitive Network Interference,” IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 480–493, Feb. 2011.
- W. C. Cheung, T. Q. S. Quek, and M. Kountouris, “Throughput Optimization, Spectrum Allocation, and Access Control in Two-Tier Femtocell Networks,” IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 561–574, Apr. 2012.
- Y. S. Soh, T. Q. S. Quek, M. Kountouris, and H. Shin, “Energy Efficient Heterogeneous Cellular Networks,” IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 840–850, May 2013.
- D. W. H. Cai, T. Q. S. Quek, and C. W. Tan, “A Unified Analysis of Max-Min Weighted SIR for MIMO Downlink System,” IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 3850–3862, Aug. 2011.
- J. Zhao, T. Q. S. Quek, and Z. Lei, “Coordinated Multipoint Transmission with Limited Backhaul Data Transfer Constraints,” IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 2762–2775, Jun. 2013.
- M. Wildemeersch, T. Q. S. Quek, C. H. Slump, and A. Rabbachin, “Cognitive Small Cell Networks: Energy Efficiency and Trade-Offs,” IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 4016–4029, Sep. 2013.