Dr. Simon Lui received his PhD degree in Computer Science from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2011. His primary research interests are audio engineering and semantic audio information retrieval. Simon was awarded the Marie Curie Fellowship in 2011 and performing mobile audio research project in the Institute of Computer Science of Foundation for Research and Technology – Hellas. He is currently a member of IEEE and Audio Engineering Society (AES).
Simon has extensive experience in mobile application development especially for audio app. He has been the consultant of SenseStream Limited in 2004, the Chief Technology Officer of Technology Method Inc in 2011, and he started his own business of mobile application development since 2009. Simon has 7 inventions on the iPhone/iPad platform, including #1 best selling apps in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia and Canada iPhone/iPad app store. His story was widely reported by international media, including CNN international, IEEE Institute, and various magazines, newspapers and television programs.
Simon is also an active computer musician in Hong Kong. As the Founder of Hong Kong Live Music Professionals, an award winning violinist / guitarist / erhuist, the concert master of several orchestras, and a professional music arranger, Simon has been in leading role of hundreds of classical, pop music concert, CD recordings, game music writing and movie soundtrack production. Simon is a member of Composers and Authors Society of Hong Kong (CASH).
- Ph.D. Computer Science, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, 2011
- M.Phil. Computer Science , The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, 2005
- B.Eng. Information Engineering (Hons), Minor in Music, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 2003
- “Audio aid design for the disabled people”. Principal Investigator: Dr. Simon Lui; co-PI: Dr. Hyowon Lee, Dr. Yow Wei Quin, Dr. Stanley Kok (SUTD); collaborator: Prof. Louis D. Braida (MIT). SUTD-MIT International Design Center Grant. Jun2012 – Jun2015.
- “Combining Music Therapeutic Knowledge and the Science of Recovery In Game Design for Stroke Rehabilitation”. Principal Investigator: Dr. Simon Lui, Dr. Stanley Kok; collaborator: Prof. Annabel Chen, Dr. Andy Khong, Asst Prof. PerMagnus Lindborg (NTU), Dr. Effie Chew (NUH). Singapore MDA Grant, SUTD Project GREaT. Apr2013 – Oct2014.
- “The SUTD iDiA Lab mobile app development kit”. Principal Investigator: Dr. Simon Lui, Dr. Cheung Ngai-man, Dr. Jason Gu, Dr. Stanley Kok, Dr. Suranga Chandima Nanayakkara, and Dr. Justin Ruths. The SUTD-MIT International Design Centre (IDC) Infrastructure Grant. Aug 2013 – Mar 2014.
- “Semantic audio information retrieval”. Principal Investigator: Dr. Simon Lui. SUTD Start-up Research Grant. Mar2012 – Feb2015.
- Lui, S. 2013. “A preliminary analysis of the continuous axis value of the three-dimensional PAD speech emotional state model”. the 16th edition of the International Conference on Digital Audio Effects, Maynooth, Ireland.
- Lui, S. 2013. “A Music Timbre Self-training Tool On Mobile Device Using Volume Normalized Simplified Spectral Information”. 2013 International Computer Music Conference, Perth.
- Lui, S. 2013. “A Compact Spectrum-Assisted Human Beatboxing Reinforcement Learning Tool On Smartphone”, International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression, Daejeon.
- Lui, S., Horner, A., and So, C. 2010. “Re-targeting expressive musical style from classical music recordings using a support vector machine”, Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, Vol. 58, No. 12, pp. 1032-1044.
- Lui, S., Horner, A., and Ayers, L. 2006. “An Intelligent SP-MIDI Polyphonic Reduction Algorithm”, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Volume 13, Issue 2, pp.52-59.