Though his first name sounds like a Japanese, Oka was actually born in Indonesia. He came to Singapore in 2000 to study Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. After he finished his Bachelor degree, he continued his further study in NTU to obtain his doctoral degree in Semiconductor Physics. In the last year of his doctoral degree, he began to work at the Institute of High Performance Computing (IHPC), A*STAR, Singapore. During his term in IHPC, he was involved with various research projects using numerical methods to solve quantum mechanics, electromagnetics, and plasmonics. After three and a half year in IHPC, he realized that his passion in teaching has not yet been realised, and so he moved on to School of Mathematics and Science, Singapore Polytechnic, in 2011. After completing his two-year contract, he then decided to join SUTD. While teaching in Singapore Polytechnic, he was also an adjunct lecturer at Digipen Singapore, Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).
Oka’s research interest are in simulation and modelling, scientific computing, numerical methods for physics and semiconductor devices. He has also been involved in some healthcare related project. Besides his passion in teaching and research, he loves to read books, listens to music, outdoor activities, and spending time with his family.
- PhD, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 2008
- B.Eng, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 2004
Awards & Achievements
- Winner, Best action research paper, Certification for Teaching, Singapore Polytechnic, 2012
- Runner up, E-book development, Singapore Polytechnic, 2011
- O. Kurniawan, C. C. Tan, V. K. S. Ong, E. P. Li, C. J. Humphreys, “A Direct Method for Charge Collection Probability Computation Using the Reciprocity Theorem,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 2455-2461, 2010.
- O. Kurniawan, P. Bai, and E.P. Li, “Ballistic Calculation of Nonequilibrium Green’s Function in Nanoscale Devices using Finite Element Method,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, vol. 42, pp. 105109 , 2009.
- O. Kurniawan and V. K. S. Ong, “Investigation of Range-Energy Relationships for Low Energy Electron Beams in Silicon and Gallium Nitride,” Scanning, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 280-286, 2007.
- V. K. S. Ong, O. Kurniawan, G. Moldovan, C. J. Humphreys, ”A method of accurately determining the position of the edges of depletion regions in semiconductor junctions,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 100, pp. 114501, 2006..