Hyowon Lee has been a researcher in the field of interaction design for computing technology for the past 13 years. Having worked as a resident interaction designer and design consultancy in technology-focused research centres, Hyowon has a large portfolio in designing a variety of novel interactive systems and services to shape the way we will interact with technologies in the future. Because our future interaction with technologies will no longer only be with desktop PCs and mobiles, he has been pioneering various novel applications for up-coming, new interaction platforms such as tabletops,interactive TV, public display walls and other embedded appliances such as in-home displays, all of which will form our day-to-day interaction landscape in the near future. With the growing potential for exploiting technological advancements today, Hyowon’s exploration of streamlining and giving structure to the creative process of designing novel applications has a huge implication for industry and academia as well as for our everyday lives.
Hyowon is an editorial board member in the International Journal of Mobile Human-Computer Interaction, was a general co-chair for the 4th Irish Human-Computer Interaction Conference in 2010, served as a programme committee for 16 European and International conferences, invited as a guest speaker at 5 international workshops and symposia, and gave 31 seminars at research groups around the world. He has authored or co-authored 105 peer-reviewed publications and holds 3international/European patents in the field of Interaction Design and Multimedia.
- PhD Computer Science, Dublin City University, Ireland, 2001
- MSc Information and Library Studies, Robert Gordon University, U.K., 1996
- BEng Computer Science, Soong Sil University, South Korea, 1995
- Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Interaction design, user-interface design, user experience design, usability
- Interaction design methodology
- Novel scenarios/applications inspired by emerging media technologies
- Future interaction platforms (e.g. Mobile, Tabletop, Interactive TV, Multi-touch wall, Embedded appliances, etc.)
Honours and Awards
- Research Fellowship (Dublin City University, Ireland), 2008 – 2010.
- Albert College Junior Fellowship (Dublin City University, Ireland), 2002.
- Postgraduate Prize runner-up (Library and Information Research Group, U.K.), 1997.
- Four-year Full Scholarship (Soong Sil University, South Korea), 1990 – 1995.
- No. of peer-reviewed publications: 105
- No. of total citations: 1,172
- h-index: 20 (according to Google Scholar, Aug 2013)
- Designing Interactive Applications to Support Novel Activities. Lee H, Mohamad Ali N and Hardman L. Advances in Human-Computer Interaction. Vol. 2013, ISSN: 1687-5893, 2013.
- Designing in Personal, Social and Cultural Factors in Shaping the Emerging Technology Applications: A Case for Visual Lifelogging. Lee H, Shin S and Dixon G. The 5th International Congress of International Association of Societies of Design Research, Tokyo, Japan, 26 – 30 August 2013.
- Designing Novel Applications Inspired by Emerging Media Technologies. Lee H and Smeaton A.F. 25th BCS Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI 2011), Newcastle Upon Tyne, U.K., 4-8 July 2011.
- Issues in Designing Novel Applications for Emerging Multimedia Technologies. Lee H. HCI in Work and Learning, Life and Leisure (USAB 2010), Klagenfurt, Austria, 4-5 November 2010.
- Constructing a SenseCam Visual Diary as a Media Process. Lee H, Smeaton A.F, O’Connor N, Jones G, Blighe M, Byrne D, Doherty A and Gurrin C. Multimedia Systems Journal, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp341-349, 2008.