David Yau obtained the B.Sc. (first class honors) from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), and M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin, all in computer science. He is now Professor in the Information Systems Technology and Design pillar of the Singapore University of Technology and Design. Since 2010, he has been Distinguished Scientist at the Advanced Digital Sciences Center, Singapore, where he is Cybersecurity Program Director. He is also Qiushi Chaired Professor in the Department of Control, Zhejiang University, China. From 1997 to 2013 (on leave 2010-12), he was Assistant Professor then Associate Professor of Computer Science at Purdue University (West Lafayette). In 2004, he was on sabbatical leave as Associate Professor, Computer Science and Engineering, CUHK.
David’s research interests are in network protocol design and implementation, network and cyber-physical system security and privacy, quality of service (QoS), network incentives, and wireless sensor networks. He received an IBM Fellowship and a CAREER award from the U.S. National Science Foundation. He won Best Paper award in 2017 IEEE/ACM Int’l Conf. Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN) and 2010 IEEE Int’l Conf. Multi-sensor Fusion and Integration (MFI). He was Mark Weiser Best Paper finalist of 2013 IEEE Int’l Conf. Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom), and Best Paper finalists of 2013 ACM BuildSys, 2013 IEEE Int’l Conf. Cyber-Physical Systems, Networks, and Applications (CPSNA), and 2007 IEEE Int’l Conf. Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS).
David serves on the editorial boards of Big Data Research (Elsevier) and IEEE Trans. Network Science and Engineering, and is Associate Editor of IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Special Section on Smart Grid Cyber-Physical Security (2017). He served as Associate Editor of IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking (2004-09) and Networking Science (Springer) (2012-13). He was technical program committee (TPC) co-chair (2006) and steering committee member (2007-09) of IEEE Int’l Workshop Quality of Service (IWQoS); vice general chair (2006), TPC co-chair (2007), TPC area chair (2011), and Workshop co-chair (2016) of IEEE Int’l Conf. Network Protocols (ICNP); TPC track co-chair (2012) of IEEE Int’l Conf. Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS); and TPC track co-chair (2013) of IEEE Int’l Conf. Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom). He serves in the Management Committee of the Singapore Cybersecurity Consortium and chairs the SCC’s SIG in IoT and CPS security.
His research has been funded by MINDEF, A*Star, NRF, and EMA in Singapore; by NSF, DOE, ONR, IBM, and the Indiana 21st Century Research and Technology Fund in the U.S.; by the National Natural Science Foundation of China; and by the Korea Electronics Technology Institute. He has served as panelist and reviewer for U.S. NSF, DOE, and ONR, as well as several international funding agencies.
Selected Research Projects
- PI, PoPSeCo: Power Plant Security by Advanced Sensing and Computing, Energy Innovation Research Programme (EIRP), S’pore Energy Innovation Programme Office (EIPO), 5/2015-4/2018.
- PI, CISDeM: Cross-functional Information Systems for Decision Making, S’pore Ministry of Defense (MINDEF-FSTD), 12/2014-12/2017.
- Co-PI, ASPIRE: Advancing Security of Public Infrastructure using Resilience and Economics, National Cybersecurity Research (NCR) program, S’pore National Research Foundation (NRF), 4/2015-3/2019.
- Co-PI, A Cyber-Physical Approach to Securing Urban Transportation Systems, NCR program, S’pore NRF, 1/2015-12/2018.
- PI, Privacy and Control Co-Design in Cyber Physical Systems, Overseas Scholar Collaborative Research Fund (Continuation Program), National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 1/2015-12/2018.
- PI, Privacy-Assured Demand Response towards Smart Consumption and Green Energy Integration in Smart Grids, S’pore Ministry of Education, SUTD-ZJU Collaboration Research Program, 2014-2017.