David Yau obtained the B.Sc. (first class honors) from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), and M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin, all in computer science. He is now Professor in the Information Systems Technology and Design pillar, SUTD. Since 2010, he has been Distinguished Scientist at the Advanced Digital Sciences Center, Singapore, where he is Cybersecurity Program Director. He is also Qiushi Chaired Professor in the Department of Control, Zhejiang University, China. From 1997 to 2013 (on leave from 2010-12), he was Assistant Professor and then Associate Professor in Computer Science at Purdue University (West Lafayette). In 2004, he was on sabbatical leave as Associate Professor, Computer Science and Engineering, CUHK.
David’s research interests are in network protocol design and implementation, network and cyber-physical system privacy and security, quality of service, network incentives, and wireless and sensor networks. He received a CAREER award from the U.S. National Science Foundation in 1998, for research in network QoS provisioning. As a PhD student, he received an IBM PhD Fellowship. He won Best Paper award in the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Multi-sensor Fusion and Integration (MFI). His other papers in sensor networks were Best Paper finalists in 2008 IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS), 2013 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom), and 2013 ACM BuildSys. His 2015 ACM MMSys paper was among selected best papers invited for submission to ACM TOMM.
David served as Associate Editor of IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (2004-09) and (Springer) Networking Science (2012-13). Since 2014, he’s been on the editorial board of Journal of Big Data Research (Elsevier). He was technical program committee (TPC) co-chair (2006) and steering committee member (2007-09) of IEEE International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS); vice general chair (2006), TPC co-chair (2007), and TPC area chair (2011) of IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP); TPC track co-chair (2012) of IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS); and TPC track co-chair (2013) of IEEE International Conference on Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom). In 2010, he co-organized the first ADSC Smart Grid Symposium with the Experimental Power Grid Center of A*Star.
His research has been funded by MINDEF, A*Star, NRF, and EMA in Singapore; by National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, Office of Naval Research, IBM, and the Indiana 21st Century Research and Technology Fund in the U.S.; by the National Natural Science Foundation of China; and by the Korea Electronics Technology Institute. He has served as reviewer and panelist for U.S. NSF, DOE, and ONR, as well as several international funding agencies.
Selected Research Projects
- PI, PoPSeCo: Power Plant Security by Advanced Sensing and Computing, Energy Innovation Research Programme (EIRP), S’pore Energy Innovation Programme Office (EIPO), 5/2015-4/2018.
- PI, CISDeM: Cross-functional Information Systems for Decision Making, S’pore Ministry of Defense (MINDEF-FSTD), 12/2014-12/2017.
- Co-PI, ASPIRE: Advancing Security of Public Infrastructure using Resilience and Economics, National Cybersecurity Research (NCR) program, S’pore National Research Foundation (NRF), 4/2015-3/2019.
- Co-PI, A Cyber-Physical Approach to Securing Urban Transportation Systems, NCR program, S’pore NRF, 1/2015-12/2018.
- PI, Privacy and Control Co-Design in Cyber Physical Systems, Overseas Scholar Collaborative Research Fund (Continuation Program), National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 1/2015-12/2018.
- PI, Privacy-Assured Demand Response towards Smart Consumption and Green Energy Integration in Smart Grids, S’pore Ministry of Education, SUTD-ZJU Collaboration Research Program, 2014-2017.