Laurence will share real-world AI projects which AI Singapore have worked on under the 100E and AI Makerspace programmes. He will also cover the real-world challenges in building AI models from talent to data and managing expectations of stakeholders.
Laurence is the Director for AI Innovation at AI Singapore where he drives the adoption of AI by the Singapore ecosystem through the 100 Experiments, Makerspace and AI Apprenticeship programmes. A visionary and serial technopreneur, Laurence identified and introduced Singapore’s enterprises to:
- Linux and open source in 1999, by being the first RED HAT partner and authorized training centre in Asia Pacific
- High Performance Computing (HPC) Cluster in 2001, by building A-STAR’s IHPC first compute cluster (most of the initial HPC clusters in NUS, NTU, SMU were built by Laurence and his team)
- Grid Computing in 2003, by building and operating Singapore’s first Grid platform – IDA’s National Grid Pilot Platform
- Cloud Computing in 2007, by architecting both the Cloud business and technology for then Singapore Computer Systems’ Alatum Cloud (now owned by Singtel)
- Open source analytics with R in 2011, by building Revolution Analytics Inc business in Asia and R&D team in Singapore. Revolution Analytics was acquired by Microsoft in 2015.
Laurence graduated from National University of Singapore (NUS) with First Class Honours in Engineering and holds a Masters in Knowledge Engineering from NUS.