Telephone: +65 6434 8215
Pillar / Cluster: Information Systems Technology and Design, Science and Math
Norman currently teaches programming at SUTD. Prior to joining SUTD, he spent the past nine years teaching in the local polytechnic sector. In that time, he taught mainly mathematics and physics but also had opportunities to teach C++ programming, introductory data mining and mechanics of materials. He had taught at various levels, from diploma students to adult learners. He was also an adjunct lecturer with the Singapore Institute of Technology. He is familiar with pedagogies such as problem-based learning, peer instruction and the flipped classroom.
With a passion for teaching, he is interested in how classroom response questions can be used to teach programming concepts effectively. His current research interest is in learning analytics, especially in investigating the insights that can be gained by applying data-mining techniques to student data.
He completed a PhD in computational materials science at the National University of Singapore in 2010, employing software tools to investigate the mechanical properties of Sn-based intermetallic compounds using density functional theory and molecular dynamics simulation.
When he is not at work, he enjoys classical music, sings with a choir, and loves travelling.
- PhD, Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2010
- B.Eng, Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2002
Awards & Achievements
- The Crescendas Physics Medal and Prize (Polytechnic): Outstanding Physics Teacher Award, Institute of Physics, Singapore, 2014
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Singapore Polytechnic, 2011
- N. T. S. Lee, V.B.C Tan and K.M. Lim. “Structural and Mechanical properties of Sn-based intermetallics from ab initio calculations”. Applied Physics Letters, 89(14), 141908, 2007.
- N. T. S. Lee, V.B.C Tan and K.M. Lim. “First-principles calculations of Structural and Mechanical properties of Cu6Sn5”. Applied Physics Letters, 88(3), 31913, 2006.
- E.H. Wong, K.M. Lim, N. Lee, S. Seah, C. Hoe and J. Wang. “Drop impact test – mechanics and physics of failure”. 4th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference, 327 – 333, 2002.
- Learning Analytics
- Pedagogy Innovation
- Modelling and simulation